Ok, so we built our home about a year and a half ago in a development, much to Shawn's dismay, in a good location for both of our jobs. The development has a homeowners association with rules and even a rule book. So one of the rules is NO FENCES of any kind. So I had high hopes that when we got Sam that I could train him to stay in our yard. Yeah, that's still a work in progress. He runs out of our yard every time and of course, right into the neighbors yard that are less then freindly to us. So,I got an estimate for one of those invisible fences. I wasn't thinking it was going to be $1350.00. So now our only hope is that I can train Sam to stay in the yard while we are still "thinking about it". We have a little trouble spending that kind of money at one time.
While we are at it, we got some other estimates as well, I had a landscaper come out and see how much it will cost to continue around the house with the flower beds. He's going to send me the paperwork in the mail in a few days. I can only imagine the cost based on how much it cost us to do the front. Just so you understand where I'm going with this, Shawn is not a "handy" kind of guy if you know what I mean. I also had someone come out and give me an estimate to stain our deck out back. That will cost us about $800.00. Yeah, that's too much work for Shawn also. I even offered to stain the deck but that didn't even get a second of thought before a "HELL NO"came out of his mouth--it can't be that hard, right. Neither can the landscaping around the house but that also got the same response. So I guess we have to spend the money if want these things done. This homeowning thing is going to get expensive and why didn't you guys tell me I was marrying a deligator instead of a laborer oh , that's right Shawn only likes to be a laborer for everyone else.....

5 comments:
Oh Gwen. Yeah, the landscaping is going to be high. I know what we have put aside to get ours done and I'm not looking forward to parting with it. As for Sam, I don't know, Sophie doesn't wander off, but she's definitely over property lines. We do have an electric fence that came w/ the house--I don't even know if it works. The old girl isn't going too far. I do have advice on the deck--call Shawn Moyer. Shad says he knows bouvas that could probably do it for less than $100 including materials. His dad or someone just paid like $80 to have a barn painted. Good luck!
Well, thank god you're living in a new house because older homes suck all the "pretty" money (for simply beautifying your home) from your pocket and leave you spending on necessities like a new roof. So great, my house isn't leaky, but it still looks like crap from the outside. The upside to paying someone do just do the work is that it actually gets done. We have the opposite arrangement. Rob IS handy, but doesn't have any time to spare to actually do the work, but won't pay someone to do what he could (theoretically) do. I'd rather pay someone to come in and do the work any day. Yes, being a homeowner is expensive, but worth it.
get the invisibile fence!!! we had one at our last home and the the new one (well, last 10 years!) well worth the bucks. we have two golden retrievers and it works great!! you won't be sorry. call susguehanna invisible fence. they are great with service calls too and will help you train. a lab is going to go right through the flower beds and who the heck has time to maintain them. good luck you dog lover you!
as i see it....... well unless it was a short courtship, one does what one wants to do. the invisable fence can be put in, in a day, by you. the quote was resonable. the landscaping is another story. find a friend who is more than artistic with plants, design the project, go to the nursery, buy the stuff and plant it yourself as well. the dog is the main issue along with your significant other. electric current will work on both of them. the dog must have it or you won't have any plants left. power wash the deck yourself and stain it too. a few hours max! you don't need anyones help. just do it. there are lots of boys out there who will help ya.
the biggest issue will be electrifying the king ranch dude to become part of the process. its called a union, dude.
i grew up with a dad that was not at all handy. so, i feel you on this one...however, ry is handy and i am always willing to try to do something so i think you should go for staining that deck!
Post a Comment